Professional fire extinguisher servicing and maintenance is an essential part of any fire protection system. It is up to the business owner or responsible person to arrange a regular service.
Stored Pressure Fire Extinguishers
Stored pressure fire extinguishers consist of a cylinder containing the extinguishing agent (water, powder, foam etc.) and are pressurised with dry air or oxygen-free nitrogen.
Basic Service by a Qualified Engineer
Fire extinguisher servicing should be carried out once a year to the standard laid down under BS 5306-3:2009. The service procedure involves thorough checking of the fire extinguisher for corrosion and partial or complete discharge. Reference should be made to the manufacturer’s recommendations and instructions for specific information on servicing and recharging. Any fire extinguishers that are deemed unfit for use should be brought to the attention of the user and removed from service.
- Visually check the fire extinguisher for damage and corrosion.
- Ensure the extinguisher has not been used by checking the following:
- Safety pin and tamper seal are in place.
- Pressure gauge reading (the needle should be in the green area. This does not apply to CO2 fire extinguishers).
- Check that the operating instructions on the extinguisher are clear.
- Remove the discharge hose and check for blockages and/or corrosion.
- Once the discharge hose has been removed, replace the ‘O’ ring.
- Weigh the extinguisher and record the weight on the service label.
- If there is a weight loss greater than 10%, investigate and recharge.
- Wipe down the extinguisher.
- Ensure that the wall mountings are secure and in good condition before replacing the extinguisher back on the wall.
Extended Service (by a Qualified Engineer)
Every five years water, foam, powder and wet chemical extinguishers require a more detailed examination including a test discharge of the extinguisher and subsequent recharging.
If you’d like more information about the servicing of your fire safety equipment, call Hydrofire today on 0808 1443934.